The Viana Palace Archive has its path linked to the vicissitudes of the owners of the Viana Palace in Córdoba. Its original collections start with documentation of 15th and early 17th centuries generated by the family that made the palace their main home: the lords of Villaseca, Marquises since 1703. In 1765 it starts to be built and located, distributed in six rooms, in a mezzanine that is located around the courtyard which is precisely called of the Archive. By then, the Marquise of Villaseca succeeded at the head of the Belmonte and Moratalla house, and her husband added the title of Count of Villanueva de Cárdenas, adding to the archive all the documentation that accompanied these successions.
His son Fausto magnified the Cordoban palace with the heritage that he brought in 1956 from his Palace of Madrid, sold to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and to the Archive with the titles that he succeeded to. In 2000, Jacobo Hernando Fitz-James Stuart, Duke of Peñaranda and 4th Marquis of Viana, his nephew and successor, sold the Historical Archive of Viana to CajaSur, an entity which in 1980, under the name of Caja Provincial de Ahorros de Córdoba (Provincial Savings Bank of Córdoba), had acquired the Viana Palace where it was kept.
Invalid Displayed Gallery
The Historical Viana Archive is shown as a jewel where research can be undertaken on people from the History of Spain of which there are hardly any documentary sources; carry out studies on lordships, towns, titles, pious works or on the government of local elites; and expand knowledge and data on aspects regarding social, political, cultural, economic, religious and everyday life, from the data provided in the documents that the archive looks after.